Thailand is a growing economy in the Asian continent, known as a South East Asian “Tiger”, with a strong sense of national pride and a conflict-avoiding persona. According to the CIA World Facebook, the smashing majority of the population is Buddhist, at approximately 94.6%, followed by 4.3% who are Muslims, 1% of Christians, and another 1% representing other beliefs and faiths.
It was not because of lacking missionary work and investment that the percentage of Christians is so low. There is no definite answer as to what may have been the cause of that figure. However, it does mean that we must continue persevering in spreading the word of God to the Thai people.
With that in mind, the Vietnamese church is proposing to plant a church among the Vietnamese-Thai people in the northeastern region of Thailand, starting with the Nakhon Phanom province. The goal is to have in 5 years time a self-sustaining Vietnamese-Thai church that will, in turn, plant other churches along the region. It is estimated to reach around 60,000 people in the 5 provinces along the area of the Mekong River. The projected date to send the first couple is in April of this year.
This project reminds us of Jesus’s words to the disciples:
“… for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How, then, can they on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”.” (Rom. 10. 13-15 New International Version)
For that to be possible, the church is asking for your help with 25% of the monthly budget, which amounts to U$500 to U$700 approximately. The other 75% of the funds will come from other partners and churches associated with the project, including the Thailand Christian and Missionary Alliance and the local Alliance Church in Nakhon Phanom.
Participating in the growth and expansion of God’s Kingdom, whether it be through prayer, financial help or volunteering, is a great honor, and one that every Christian accepts with joy.